In recent years, a trend has been noticed that more foreigners want to shift their life and economic interests to EU countries and Bulgaria in particular. This is not a surprise. Why? Because Bulgaria’s business ecosystem is developing at high pace. There is also the possibility for free movement within the EU and the Schengen area, which contributes to the rapid exchange of goods and services. This is the perfect time to be part of this movement and take your place into one of the largest economies in the world – the EU.
Most important legal steps
One of the most important steps in the process of moving to Bulgaria is obtaining the right of long-term residence. The procedure can be started after the foreign citizen has already legally entered the territory of the country subsequent to the issuance of Visa type “D” by the Bulgarian embassy or consulate responsible for the respective country.
Long-term residence entitles you to stay in the Republic of Bulgaria for up to one year from the date of issuance of the permit. After the expiration of this period, you can apply again. Of course this is possible only if you still comply with one of the grounds listed below. These actions are the beginning of obtaining a permanent residence permit, which is issued for a period of up to 5 years and there is no need to renew it every year.
Who can obtain long-term residence in Bulgaria
Obtaining the right of a long-term residence for foreigners is limited to grounds exhaustively listed in the law. We will not mention all of them, but only the most applicable and common ones. For long-term residency can apply foreigners who:
1. want to work as commissioned or sent within the framework of providing services on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria.
2. want to reside and work in the Republic of Bulgaria on the basis of an employment contract.
3. carry out commercial activities in the country in accordance with the law.
4. are foreign specialists, residing in the country pursuant to international treaties to which the Republic of Bulgaria is a party.
5. are representatives of a foreign company, registered with the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Bulgaria.
6. are full-time students in a Bulgarian university.
7. are of Bulgarian origin.
8. are financially secured parents of a Bulgarian citizen or a foreigner who has issued a permanent residence permit.
9. have received the right to a pension according to the legislation of the Republic of Bulgaria, their country of origin or another country and possess sufficient funds to support themselves without any government aid;
10. are family members of a foreigner who has received a long-term or permanent residence permit;
11. want to carry out a freelance activity;
12. have invested an amount not less than BGN 600,000 to acquire the right of ownership of real estate on the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria.
Conclusion and legal assistance
In addition to the above-mentioned conditions, any foreigner who wants to obtain a Bulgarian long-term residence must have mandatory health insurance that is valid for the whole European Union. Other criteria is to has a sufficient funds for their maintenance without any government aid, as well as accommodation.
Legalla’s team is specialized in the preparation of all necessary documents and representation of foreigners before the competent state institutions. We will be with you in each of the phases of the procedure. We will assist you with the preparation of all documents you need to provide by your side, as well as we will take care of all the others steps that the law requires.
In case you have completed this procedure by yourself but there is an official refusal from Bulgarian state agencies to issue you a long-term residence permit, our legal team can assist you in appealing this refusal before the competent court. Don’t think twice before writing to us! Our team will reply you within 1 business day. If you want more information about us. We are also available on LinkedIn.